Monday, September 01, 2008

Hurricanes and New Orleans

I have a serious question. Why would anyone live in a city that averages 2 feet below sea level and as much as 16 feet below sea level AND is in a hurricane area? Does this make sense? I obviously have empathy for anyone that lost loved ones or even property in Katrina. But Hurricane Katrina should have been your warning. Get out of New Orleans NOW! Especially if you do not have the means to evacuate in the event of another hurricane. I am hearing all these reports about how hurricane Gustav may be as bad a Katrina, and wonder why it is even an issue. People who rebuilt there I ask "why?". I understand that many people in New Orleans are poor and may not be able to "move". I'd rather donate to a fund that helped people move to higher land, than one that rebuilt houses 16 feet below sea level. I just don't get it. How many hurricanes does it take before people just stop going back? Also, New Orleans is built on a marsh, and is sinking.

links to this post
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?