Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Most Important Lessons

As most of you know, I am a substitute teacher. I usually teach 2-3 days a week for various grade levels. I have taught lessons from counting 1-20, to Trigonometry. I have read books to my class from Clifford the Big Red Dog, to The Illiad. There are 2 lessons that I wish parents (and Teachers) would focus on more. It isn't Math, English, or Science. It isn't Physical Education, Music, or Art. 2 lessons that I feel need way more attention are:

1. Following Directions So many kids just don't follow the directions. I repeat myself too many times. Kids do not hear or read directions. I can say them 100 times, or I could write them out. They just don't follow simple directions. Even after i get 99% of the class on task, I usually get a hand raised from someone asking a question that was covered in the directions. Here is an Example: Imagine 23 6th graders. I ask them to sharpen pencils, and to turn in homework. I then ask them to quietly sit at their desks, and that I am handing out a worksheet. I ask, "Please put your name on the top of the worksheet where it says NAME". When you have done this please stop and wait for further directions. I repeat these directions a handful of times. I ask if everyone understands my expectations. No one answers. After a few seconds, a hand goes up... "do we need to turn in our homework?"... then "I don't understand number 5". Then, "Are we supposed to start?" So I repeat my directions a few more times. Then I get... "Can I sharpen my pencil?" and "I have to leave at 11:20 to help in the cafeteria". Teachers and Parents, PLEASE teach your children the importance of following directions. For the first time in my life I realize why they put those large pictures of Stop Signs at the end of a section of standardized tests.

2. Don't worry about others, worry about yourself So many kids are concerned about what other kids are doing or not doing. They usually do this while they could be getting their stuff done. examples just from today: Mr. S, so-and-so needs to do cafeteria duty. Mr. S, so-and-so just went to the bathroom. Mr. S, jimmy and jason aren't supposed to sit next to each other, and my favorite, Mr. S, David is supposed to mind his own business. Each time, I responded with "Don't worry about him, worry about yourself"

One more thing, while I am at it. Please teach your kids/students the correct way to ask for permission. So many kids ask me, "Can I go to the bathroom?" or "Can I get a drink?" I usually say to them, "Well, you are (fill-in-the-blank) years old, I bet you have the ability." They don't get it. I explain to them that by saying "Can I...", that they are actually asking me if they have the ability to get a drink. I continue by telling them that they should ask by saying "May I..." I usually get a weird look.

I guess it all comes down to what is accepted in their lives. If it is acceptable to not follow direction, then they will. If it is acceptable to be concerned about others, then they will, and if it is acceptable to use improper grammar, they will.

links to this post
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?