Monday, February 04, 2008

I am a Genius

After struggling with nap/quiet time with my boys for years, and bedtime ranging from difficult to a downright nightmare, I have found a solution. I took C1 to the library last week, and had him help me pick out a bedtime book that I would read only at bedtime. I was initially thinking about a "Little House on the Prairie" type book, but was open to ideas. I wanted a chapter type book that would leave the boys wanting more. The librarian suggested any book in the "Junie B. Jones" series which is about a first grader. She also mentioned the "Goosebumps" series. C1 picked out 1 from both series of books. He wanted to start with the Goosebumps book. Goosebumps are scary stroies for kids, which worried me somewhat. I wasn't sure that reading a scary story before bedtime was a good idea, but C1 insisted, and I thought we'd try it and see how it went. I told the boys that the books were for bedtime only. We have been doing this for a few days, and it is working perfectly!!!At about 7:30, I ask the boys if they want me to read from the story and of course they say yes. We go in and brush teeth, get drinks, use potty, and jump in bed. Even C2 will climb in bed on his own. My only rule is that they must have their heads on their pillows. C1 likes to sit up, and my goal is to get them to nod off. By 8:00 their eyes get droopy. I stop at a cliffhanger part, and call it a night.

This also works for quiet time too. After lunch, I ask them if they want to hear from the story and they both run off to bed! It is crazy I know. The best part about this is that they take naps at the same time now. before, C2 would get sleepy between 11:00-12:00 for nap, and C1 wouldn't get sleepy 'til 2-4:00 for his nap. Which means a couple things. 1. C1 sleeps through dinner, and gets up around 6 (which is impossible to get him to go down again at 7:30) and 2. They both sleep at the same time (which as any parent of multiple kids knows, is so important).

I am sure I am not the first parent to come up with this idea, but until I hear otherwise, I will take credit for it, and I will declare myself a genius!

links to this post
Comments:
Junie B Jones is MARVELOUS!!!!!! JT has all of her books and they really are good/funny/exciting etc.
Also check into Judy Blume's Superfudge another great one :)

Kudos to you for getting your boys to nap and go to bed on time, it makes such a difference in the whole household.

xoxo :-)
Nick
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?