Sunday, August 12, 2007

shooting stars

I heard last night on the local news that there would be a meteor shower in the early morning. I Googled "meteor shower August 12" and confirmed that there should be fantastic viewing for a meteor shower between 2am and 6am. I set my alarm for 4:45am. When my alarm buzzed, I turned it off and decided that I was too tired to get up and go outside... then, I had to get up to use the facilities, so I decided to throw some shorts on and take a look at the free light show. If you have never seen a shooting star, you are missing out. I sat outside for about 30 minutes and counted approximately 10-12 shooting stars. It was amazing. At first you see something and say to yourself, "was that one?" especially when you have just awakened from deep sleep. But then when you see more and more, you realize what you are watching. I saw a meteor shower when I was in high school. My sister and I were waiting for the school bus before sunrise, and counted several shooting stars. I am not some sort of astronomy geek or anything, but I think meteor showers are cool. Oh, and tonight should be good viewing too because of the new moon. Check it out if you can.

links to this post
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?