Monday, April 02, 2007

1st graders

I subbed for a class of 1st graders all last week. Wow! What a difference from 2nd graders. Keeping their growing minds on task was a big challenge for me. They were always doing and thinking other things than the lesson I wanted them to. Now I know why the lessons for kids are disguised into an art project or some type of game. Another challenge I had was the restroom break. We would all walk down to the restroom for a restroom break. 5 minutes after we would get back to class, I would feel a tug on my shirt. "Mr. Smith, can I use the restroom?" I told them we just went and they would have to wait. Then, they would go back to their desks and do that "gotta go wiggle" in their seat. I would have to let them go because I certainly didn't want a puddle in the classroom. One day, 5 students asked me to go, within a half hour of going on a restroom break. And this was AFTER I told them everyone must go, no more restroom breaks until lunch. It made me crazy.

I tried to play games with them when we had a minute or two. One day I decided to play Simon Says. I have never been the leader of this game, and was somewhat reluctant to play because I wasn't sure if I had the skill to eliminate the kids. First, I said "Simon says put your right hand on your head". 5 kids out right away using the wrong hand. "Simon says put your left hand on your head". 5 more out for taking the right hand down when they put the left hand up. I was beginning to think I would do ok leading this. So half the class is still in it and the other half is sitting down, so I ask all the kids "If you are still in the game, raise your hand" and all the kids still playing raised their hands. All out! Simon didn't say!
Wow, that was easy.

links to this post
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?