Friday, February 09, 2007

Amish drying clothes

Ok, on the way to town we drive by an amish community. There are several amish homes, a school with outhouses, and sometimes you see a horse and buggy or kids riding their bikes to school. It is like driving through Walnut Grove. Anyway, today I noticed one home had several lines of laundry hung out to dry. At first I didnt think too much of it until right at that moment, the announcer on the radio said it was 7 degrees outside. Is it me, or do I not understand why you would hang wet clothes outside in sub freezing temperatures? Wouldn't they just freeze stiff? How does anyone dry clothes without a dryer and freezing temps outside? By the fire? I would hate to be that amish guy who just spent 14 hours outside in 7 degree weather feeding the horses, cleaning the pigpens, and milking cows and then come inside to find out my union suit was frozen stiff as a board. Thank you Mom and Dad for not bringing me up amish. Although their gas bill probably wasn't $165 this month.

links to this post
Comments:
This is funny, I think I finaly starting totally cracking up at the use of the words "union suit". And also, at least according to "Little House on the Prairie" (the books, not the show) clothes can "freeze-dry" when it's really cold out.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?