Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Santa and the chimney




So, we all know the story... Santa comes down your chimney with his bag full of presents and puts them under your christmas tree. Flashback to 1977. I'm 8 years old, and we have a fireplace and therefore a chimney. The story made sense to me. Santa comes down our chimney pops out of the fireplace and puts our presents around the tree. All is good. Back to present day. C1 is 3. He asks me today on our way to preschool, "do we have a chimney?" I immediately knew where this was going, but was in no way prepared to have this discussion with him. See, we do NOT have a chimney. How do I answer his question? I respond with "yes C1, we have a chimney!" D'oh!!!! Why did I say that? I was afraid I was digging myself a hole that I might not be able to get out of. I decide that I'm not in that bad of shape and that I can still talk my way out of this in a way that will satisfy his curiousity. Until..... "Daddy do we have a fireplace?" Ok, I am treading water now. I need to change the subject before this gets bad. I ask him if he is excited about singing Christmas songs at school today. He said, "No" and was distracted. I was relieved. But this is obviously going to come up again very soon. Then I got to wondering, if I am having trouble with the Santa and the chimney story, then the birds and the bees story will be a nightmare.

links to this post
Comments:
OH, hell, let him find out from his friends at MSU!!! Now THAT would be an interesting dorm conversation.
 
I am sure within the next 15 years I can figure out a creative way to tell him the story about Santa and the chimney. The other story may be more diffucult.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?