Wednesday, November 08, 2006

C1 a potty mouth?

My jaw dropped to the floor. I couldn't believe what I just heard out of my son's mouth. Maybe I was imagining things, so I listened again a little closer. I wasn't imagining it. C1 is 3 years old and today November 8th, 2006, he said the "F" word! Somehow I imagined his first swear word being poopoohead, not the F word. I had not prepared myself for this. I thought I had a few more years to plan my reaction. He must have heard this in school I thought. I know he didn't learn it from T or me. I had to think quickly. Do I freak out and yell at him and spank his bottom and send him to his room and demand he never talk like that again? No... that is too extreme and I didn't want him to get a big reaction because of this word. I wanted more information, and I knew I had to do some professional interrogation to find my answers. My goal was to get my answers from him without him realizing how much attention he would get (albeit negative attention) from this one word. So, I calmly asked him what he said. He put his face in a pillow, so I knew that he knew he shouldn't be using it. I asked him who he heard this word from. At first he wouldn't tell me, but after a small amount of coaxing, he told T the boy's name that taught him this word (we'll call him Floyd to protect his identity). We told him this word he was using was a bad word and that Mommy and Daddy didn't like him using this word. We told him that if Floyd ever used this word again to walk away. He seemed to understand, and hopefully we didn't teach him that saying this word will get him all kinds of attention. So, T and I have Parent/Teacher conferences tomorrow. I am interested to hear what his teacher will say about this. T hopes Floyd's parents are scheduled immediately after us for conferences.

links to this post
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?