Friday, August 11, 2006

Potty Training

C1 turned 3 years old a month ago, and we are still having issues with controlling bodily functions. Well, to be specific, Conner is having the issues. I haven't had any problems for a few years. Sometimes he does great. He will wake us up at night to go, and has gone a week or longer with nothing but fantastic results... until today. The normal day, we had him go potty as soon as he got up. Then for some unknown reason, around 10am he pees on the couch. OK... accidents happen. No big deal clean it up, and learn from the mistake. Teresa and I have always been positive and encouraging during this whole process that started over 1 year ago. I read/heard somewhere that you shouldn't push your toddler to toilet train, it will come when they are ready. So whenever there has been a bump in the road, we have said encouraging things so as to not scare him, or make the potty a bad thing. Anyway, after C2's defective diaper spills its contents onto the couch (same cushion), C1 has another "bump in the road". He says "Daddy will you change me?" Since he is wearing Batman underpants, and not Bob the Builder Pull-ups, this question raised some concerns for me. He went on our carpet this time. At what point of this process can T and I as parents not be so positive? I told him I was upset that he peed on the carpet and told him that he needed baby diapers on now because he couldn't use the potty like a big boy. I put a Pull-up on him and he probably likes that better anyway, but the thought of cleaning up another mess today makes me cringe. I wonder when it is ok to discipline for bad potty moments. I'm sure this issue will soon pass. Then it will be time to enroll C2 in Potty U.

links to this post
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?